NEW YORK – Verizon and the National Basketball Association (NBA) today announced an innovative, multi-year partnership that will deliver one of the most comprehensive video streaming offerings of NBA content – from live out-of-market games via NBA League Pass to highlights, fantasy basketball, original programming and more – on Yahoo Sports, Yahoo Fantasy and across Verizon’s family of media brands.
As part of the partnership, beginning with NBA All-Star 2018 in Los Angeles, the NBA and Verizon will unveil a series of innovative collaborations leveraging Verizon’s leading 5G network and technology designed to deliver premium NBA content and unique fan experiences.
In addition, the NBA and Verizon will work together on enhanced global Yahoo Fantasy experiences, including a new, simplified Official NBA Fantasy format, flexible entry for fans to start their fantasy season at any time, and customized fantasy highlight packages.
Partnership highlights include:
- Access to purchase NBA League Pass in the U.S. – the league’s out-of-market live game service co-managed by the NBA and Turner Sports – on Yahoo Sports and other Verizon media platforms
- New daily show highlighting NBA action, storylines and commentary available exclusively on Yahoo Sports and across Verizon’s media platforms
- Development of augmented reality and other new forms of content leveraging Verizon’s leading network technology in partnership with the NBA
- Original sports and lifestyle programming utilizing the league’s vast archive of NBA footage across Yahoo Sports and Verizon’s media platforms
- Verizon’s “It’s on Us” program, which now makes up to eight NBA League Pass games available to registered users, at no cost to the consumer, to preview the League Pass subscription offering
“Verizon is uniquely positioned to partner with the NBA in a first of-its-kind technology and content partnership that will serve the NBA’s dynamic fan base with more live action, fantasy and lifestyle content in addition to experiential opportunities in the U.S. and globally through Yahoo Fantasy,” said Brian Angiolet, SVP, Global Chief Media and Content Officer at Verizon. “With the addition of live NBA games, highlights, classic footage, originals and more to our mobile sports offering, Yahoo Sports and Verizon’s family of media brands are becoming the first-screen for fans of live sports, and a superior alternative for partners and advertisers.”
“We are absolutely thrilled to extend and grow our unique relationship with Verizon and its various media platforms,” said Bill Koenig, NBA President, Global Content and Media Distribution. “This expanded partnership allows us to tap into Verizon’s expansive reach and new technologies to engage our fans through a variety of innovative experiences.”
NBA content will be available to fans on any wireless carrier later this season via Oath’s Yahoo Sports.
Watch Verizon Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver talk about the new partnership via Yahoo Sports
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York City, has a diverse workforce of 160,100 and generated nearly $126 billion in 2016 revenues. Verizon operates America’s most reliable wireless network and the nation’s premier all-fiber network, and delivers integrated solutions to businesses worldwide. Its Oath subsidiary reaches about one billion people around the world with a dynamic house of media and technology brands.
About Yahoo Sports
Yahoo Sports is innovating the mobile sports experience for fans. Yahoo Sports is the first screen for the next generation of sports fans worldwide, who crave real-time personalized quality content and superior fan experiences every day. Yahoo Sports is part of the Oath Network and its billion members around the globe. Download the Yahoo Sports app on iOS and Google Play.