NEW YORK – The NBA’s largest mobile basketball playground, NBA Nation presented by Sprint, will roll into Houston to tip off its seventh summertime tour on Saturday, April 28, at the Houston International Festival.
More than 1 million fans will visit NBA Nation presented by Sprint, which will travel more than 10,000 miles making stops in eight cities – Houston, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Charlotte, New York, Washington D.C., and Philadelphia. NBA Nation is 20,000 square feet of basketball action, featuring full and half courts, free interactive basketball activities, and the opportunity to meet NBA players and legends. Sprite, Kia Motors and Dribble to Stop Diabetes supported by Sanofi US and the American Diabetes Association are also associate partners of NBA Nation presented by Sprint.
NBA Legend Darryl Dawkins will serve as the official tour ambassador, traveling to each tour stop greeting fans, signing autographs and serving as a special judge for select competitions. NBA Nation presented by Sprint provides fans of all ages a variety of free interactive basketball activities and competitions, including the new Sprint Unlimited Free Throw Competition, the Kia Motors Performance Challenge, a Dribble to Stop Diabetes campaign tent, NBA 3X, and the Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown.
NBA Nation offers a variety of activities for fans of all ages, including:
- Sprint – Fans will have a chance to participate in the Sprint Unlimited Free Throw Competition where participants will be challenged to make as many free throws as NBA All-Star Kevin Durant has been previously recorded making in one minute. At the end of each weekend, the fan who makes the most free throws in one minute will receive an NBA Store gift card. Fans can also participate in the NBA Nation Sweepstakes for the chance to win a $1,000 shopping spree to the NBA Store, with one winner chosen at the conclusion of the Tour.
- Kia Performance Challenge – Fans will have the chance to dribble, pass and shoot their way through a skills challenge course for a chance to win great prizes!
- Sprite – As part of Sprite’s Uncontainable Game, fans can show off their best basketball moves for a chance to be considered for Team Sudden or Team Intense, led by Team Captains LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, during NBA All-Star 2013. Fans can also use their creativity and basketball skills to perform their best dunks before a panel of judges including Darryl Dawkins, with one winner from each city receiving a $1,000 grand prize in the Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown.
- NBA 3X – 12 teams will compete in a single-elimination 3-on-3 tournament. The last team standing will win NBA Prize Packs.
- Dribble to Stop Diabetes – In partnership with Sanofi US and the American Diabetes Association –Basketball fans will be able to compete in a pop-a-shot challenge for the chance to win a Darryl Dawkins signed basketball or have a custom photo experience with one of the campaign ambassadors. Basketball fans will also be able to get active on the court with fun games like dribble tag, musical chairs and a dribble relay.
- Measure Up – Fans can measure themselves against life-size replicas of favorite players on the Tall and Short, Arm Span, Walk of Fame and Get-A-Grip displays.
- Locker Room – Participants can get their photo taken with NBA players and Legends in the Locker Room and have it printed on-site.
NBA Nation presented by Sprint tour dates:
|April 28 – 29||Houston||Houston International Festival, East side of Bagby St. between Dallas & Lamar Streets|
|May 5 – 6||Denver||Cinco De Mayo Festival, Broadway between 13th & 14th Avenues|
|May 12 – 13||Los Angeles||Universal CityWalk, 100 Universal City Plaza|
|May 26 – 27||San Francisco||San Francisco Carnaval, (Harrison St. between 20th St & Mistral St)|
|June 8 – 9||Charlotte||Taste of Charlotte, Tryon Street and Third Street|
|June 16 – 17||New York City||South Street Seaport, Fulton & South Street|
|June 23 – 24||Washington, D.C.||Safeway BBQ Battle, 13 & 13 ½ Pennsylvania Ave.|
|June 30 – July 1||Philadelphia||Taste of Philadelphia, Penns Landing|
|July 4||Philadelphia||WaWa Welcome America! Party on the Parkway|
The NBA’s global grassroots programs reach fans in more than 30 countries and aim to promote participation in the game of basketball through clinics, contests, skills competitions and player appearances. Programs include: Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA (international); NBA FIT; NBA Nation; NBA All-Star Jam Session, NBA 3x (Europe, Asia, Latin America, India, Canada) and Basketball without Borders (Asia, Europe, Latin America, Africa).
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 56 million customers at the end of the first quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in its 2011 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors is one of the world’s fastest moving global automotive brands; from 2009-2011 Kia launched more new vehicles in the U.S. than any other automaker, and under the guidance of chief design officer Peter Schreyer earned a reputation as an industry leader in automotive styling. Kia Motors America’s full line of fuel-efficient and fun-to-drive cars and CUVs has earned critical acclaim and dramatically increased consumer awareness, perception and consideration for the brand.
Kia Motors America is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 755 dealers throughout the United States and serves as the “Official Automotive Partner” of the NBA and LPGA. In 2011, KMA recorded its best-ever annual sales total and became one of the fastest growing car companies in the U.S. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, advanced safety features and new technologies.
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, our Company’s portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy our beverages at a rate of more than 1.7 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world’s top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system employees. For more information, please visit www.thecoca-colacompany.com or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo.
About Sanofi US
Sanofi, a global and diversified healthcare leader, discovers, develops and distributes therapeutic solutions focused on patients’ needs. Sanofi has core strengths in the field of healthcare with seven growth platforms: diabetes solutions, human vaccines, innovative drugs, consumer healthcare, emerging markets, animal health and the new Genzyme. Sanofi is listed in Paris (EURONEXT: SAN) and in New York (NYSE: SNY).
Sanofi is the holding company of a consolidated group of subsidiaries and operates in the United States as Sanofi US, also referred to as Sanofi-aventis U.S. LLC. For more information on Sanofi US, please visit http://www.sanofi.us or call 1-800-981-2491.
About the American Diabetes Association
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to Stop Diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. Founded in 1940, our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. For more information please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383) or visit www.diabetes.org. Information from both these sources is available in English and Spanish.