NEW YORK – Seven ties among teams that finished the 2011-12 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2012 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 28, at The Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
The drawings were conducted earlier today in New York City by Carol Sawdye, NBA Chief Financial Officer, and Dan Rube, NBA Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel. The tiebreak process was overseen by Martin Shannon, a partner in the accounting firm of Ernst & Young.
The results of the drawings:
- Cleveland (21-45) won a tiebreaker with New Orleans.
- Sacramento (22-44) won a tiebreaker with New Jersey.
- Golden State (23-43) won a tiebreaker with Toronto.
- New York (36-30) won a tiebreaker with Dallas; and Dallas won a tiebreaker with Utah.
- A. Clippers (40-26) won a tiebreaker with Atlanta.
- A. Lakers (41-25) won a tiebreaker with Memphis.
- Chicago (50-16) won a tiebreaker with San Antonio.
Attached is the order of selection for the 2012 NBA Draft, as well as the number of chances for teams in the 2012 NBA Draft Lottery, to be held May 30.
2012 FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER
The teams entered in the lottery, to be held on May 30, 2012, are as follows (note: the first three picks in the Draft will be determined by the lottery and the remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions 4 through 14 in inverse order of their consolidated standings at the end of the regular season):
TEAM RECORD LOTTERY CHANCES (out of 1,000)
Charlotte 7-59 250
Washington 20-46 199
Cleveland 21-45 138
New Orleans 21-45 137
Sacramento 22-44 76
New Jersey* 22-44 75
Golden State# 23-43 36
Toronto 23-43 35
Detroit 25-41 17
Minnesota (To New Orleans via LA Clippers) 26-40 11
Portland 28-38 8
Milwaukee 31-35 7
Phoenix 33-33 6
Houston 34-32 5
The order for the remainder of the first round picks is as follows:
- Philadelphia 35-31
- New York (To Houston) 36-30
- Dallas 36-30
- Utah (To Minnesota) 36-30
- Orlando 37-29
- Denver 38-28
- Boston 39-27
- LA Clippers (To Boston via OKC) 40-26
- Atlanta 40-26
- LA Lakers (To Cleveland) 41-25
- Memphis 41-25
- Indiana 42-24
- Miami 46-20
- Oklahoma City 47-19
- Chicago 50-16
- San Antonio (To Golden State) 50-16
* This pick may be conveyed to Portland.
# This pick may be conveyed to Utah via New Jersey.
2012 SECOND ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER
33/34. New Orleans (To Cleveland via Miami)
35/36. New Jersey (To Golden State)
37/38. Golden State (To Denver via New York)
- Minnesota (To Portland via Houston)
- Phoenix (To Atlanta)
- Houston (To Detroit)
- Dallas (To Washington)
- New York
- Atlanta (To Golden State)
- LA Clippers
- Memphis (To Philadelphia)
- LA Lakers (To Dallas)
- Indiana (To Toronto)
- Miami (To New Jersey)
- Oklahoma City (To Minnesota)
- San Antonio
- Chicago (To New Jersey via Milwaukee or to LA Lakers via New Jersey and Milwaukee)
*Please note that teams that finished the regular season with identical records will select in the second round in the reverse of the order in which they select in the first round, provided, that if more than two teams are tied, then, as among the tied teams, each tied team will select one position earlier than it selected in the first round, except that the tied team that selected earliest in the first round shall, among the tied teams, select latest in the second round. With respect to the ties between Cleveland and New Orleans (21 and 45); New Jersey and Sacramento (22 and 44); and Golden State and Toronto (23 and 43): since the order of selection in the first round for this set of teams may change based on the results of the Draft Lottery, the order of selection in the second round cannot be determined until after the Draft Lottery is conducted.