NEW YORK – The WNBA today announced the launch of its reimagined global digital platforms – WNBA App and WNBA.com – as the league prepares to tip off its 27th season on Friday, May 19. This launch signifies the ongoing transformation of the league’s digital platforms into the ultimate destination for women’s basketball. The WNBA App and WNBA.com will elevate the way fans experience and stay connected with the WNBA through live games and the latest news, information and features about the longest-standing U.S. women’s professional sports league and its players.
The new platforms feature rebuilt technology, architecture and accessibility following an 18-month initiative that saw the creation of a dedicated WNBA digital and content team. In collaboration with Deloitte*, one of the league’s inaugural group of WNBA Changemaker corporate partners, both the app and website have been redesigned with a sleek new look, customized features, and compelling content. Developed as an enhanced one-stop source for fans with live games, schedules, real-time stats, score updates and standings, the new platforms bring WNBA fans closer to the game and their favorite teams and players than ever before.
“The reimagined WNBA App and WNBA.com delivers a more accessible, immersive, and authentic experience to our fans,” said Colie Edison, Chief Growth Officer, WNBA. “With Deloitte’s insights and collaboration, we have been able to increase capacity and supercharge our output, taking our digital products to the next level.”
The new app is the 24/7 home for WNBA fans, with access to the league anytime and anywhere. Through the platform’s around-the-clock basketball coverage, featuring notifications for breaking news, game alerts and customizable viewing options, users will experience new ways to watch games and share highlights via social-style vertical videos.
WNBA League Pass, the league’s direct-to-consumer subscription offering, will be integrated into the WNBA App, giving fans the ability to stream games on their phone, tablet or connected devices. The service allows fans to watch live out-of-market games, full-length replays of every game and hundreds of classic games for $24.99 per year. Returning WNBA League Pass subscribers will see live streams with higher video quality and a seamless user experience for game consumption.
2022 Kia WNBA Defensive Player of the Year and two-time Kia WNBA Most Valuable Player A’ja Wilson of the 2022 WNBA Champion Las Vegas Aces will lead the lineup of original programming with a three-part series that will take viewers along her journey as she and the Aces aim to defend their WNBA title. In addition, content on the WNBA App and WNBA.com will include:
• In-game content and live access to streams of select pregame and postgame WNBA press conferences and media days for major events.
• Curated short-form content that gives fans more ways to catch up with the WNBA, including quick highlights, recaps, and on-court analysis.
• Behind-the-scenes features from the WNBA’s on-the-ground team and content from the teams’ social and digital channels.
• Original programming including short-form series that go beyond the court and tell WNBA athlete stories throughout the season.
• Access to archived games and content series featuring WNBA Finals presented by YouTube TV games and other classic matchups from the past eight years.
• Sit-downs and candid conversations with WNBA players.
• Player-led features of WNBA cities showing fans why it is the best place to play in the league.
• Profiles on fans in each city who show why there is nothing better than to cheer on a WNBA team.
• Spotlights on the latest looks and trends and the creativity behind players’ styles and influences.
• Series on the signature skill sets of WNBA athletes and their impact on the court.
• Reports diving into how recent college stars are transitioning to the WNBA with player interviews, along with weekly Power Rankings.
Additional series and web and app features will be announced throughout the season and beyond.