LOS ANGELES – National Basketball Association (NBA) All-Star 2011 will be available to more fans than ever before, televised live in 215 countries and territories in 43 languages and accessible internationally on digital devices including live on mobile phones for the first time in more than 200 countries and territories.
Fans will be able to watch every single event live online through NBA LEAGUE PASS and live on their mobile phone through the NBA Game Time application. This will be the first All-Star available live in 3D internationally, available in more than 100 cinemas.
The global interest for All-Star is at an all-time high this year with a record 461 international media members from 41 countries converging in Los Angeles to capture every moment for the league’s growing fan base around the world.
For the first time-ever, NBA TV, the league’s 24-hour television network, will be available internationally on mobile phones giving fans behind-the-scenes access to all things All-Star past and present including live player interviews, press conferences, historical NBA All Star games, dunk contests, and more all in the palm of their hand.
All-Star will be an interactive viewing experience as fans can vote online or via text to help select the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam Most Valuable Player, the Kia NBA All-Star Game Most Valuable Player, and the winner of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest.
Highlights of coverage in key markets:
- There will be record local broadcast coverage in Africa, with NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by State Farm and the NBA All-Star Game broadcast to 22 stations through the NBA’s partnership with CAfrica Sports.
- The league has first time broadcast partners in Asia providing unprecedented localized coverage including Now TV in Hong Kong; Sun TV/Vision 1 in Indonesia; WOWOW in Japan; Astro Supersport in Malaysia; and Supersport in Singapore.
- All-Star will be available online at NBA.com for fans in Korea to watch live.
- The NBA and CCTV, China’s national television network, will produce a dedicated television broadcast tailored for fans in China. The broadcast will feature live commentary in Mandarin, customized sponsorship elements targeting local consumers, and an isolated camera controlled by CCTV producers that will focus on the players and the in-arena entertainment from a Chinese perspective.
- com/China will utilize a backpack enabled with LiveU technology to bring fans live coverage from anywhere at anytime.
- Sina, the NBA’s official digital partner, will stream All-Star live with courtside commentary from Yi Jianlian of the Washington Wizards and Chinese celebrities. The NBA will engage fans through a combination of social media platforms on Sina including their blog, video-blog and micro-blog service – which exceeded one million followers earlier this month.
- ESPN UK will provide coverage of NBA All-Star and the BBVA NBA All-Star Celebrity Game live in HD.
- NBA Entertainment and Canal+Spain will produce a feed presented by BBVA specifically tailored for fans in Spain for NBA All-Star Saturday Night and the All-Star Game.
- NTV Plus Sport will be onsite from Russia to provide live commentary of all events.
- All-Star will be streamed live on NBA.de, the league’s localized website in Germany.
- Ten Sports will air All-Star live and there will be unprecedented coverage of the events in Ten’s news programs and their weekly NBA lifestyle show.
- A reporter from NBA.com/india will be in Los Angeles doing a daily blog and the Times of India, the largest English newspaper in India, will be providing daily coverage and recaps from various events throughout the weekend highlighting the tremendous amount of excitement and entertainment at All-Star.
- TV Azteca will air All Star Saturday night presented by State Farm and the All-Star Game on Channel 7. The network, which reaches 100% of TV households in Mexico, will be onsite to capture elements for their weekly highlight show, NBA Rafaga.
- Space, an NBA television partner in Latin America, and a subsidiary of Turner, will televise All-Star to more 28 million homes.
- Al Jazeera will be onsite to provide live commentary in Arabic for all three weekend events and will air NBA All-Star Saturday Night and the NBA All-Star Game in HD for the first time.